Polytrauma/TBI System of Care
Concussion Coach Mobile App
Concussion Coach is a mobile phone application for Veterans, Servicemembers, and others who have experienced a mild to moderate concussion. It provides portable tools to assess symptoms and to facilitate use of coping strategies.
Concussions often come with physical problems (such as headaches, balance problems, and dizziness), emotional challenges (such as getting angry more easily), and cognitive problems (such as difficulties with concentration and memory). The nature and range of symptoms can cause considerable distress and frustration, and training in different coping strategies is often necessary.
The features of Concussion Coach include:
- A self-assessment tool for measuring symptoms, with feedback and a graph for tracking symptoms over time
- Symptom relief tools and relaxation exercises for managing problems associated with concussion
- Planning tools to build resilience
- Educational materials about concussion and options for treatment by brain injury professionals
- Immediate access to crisis resources, personal support contacts, or professional healthcare resources
Concussion Coach is intended to support treatment with a healthcare professional by providing portable, convenient tools for the user to assess symptoms and cope with concussion-related problems. The app can also be used on its own, but is not intended to replace professional diagnosis, medical treatment, or rehabilitation therapies for those who need them.
Concussion Coach was collaboratively developed by the Department of Veterans Affairs’ Rehabilitation and Prosthetic Services and the National Center for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, and the Department of Defense National Center for Telehealth and Technology.
Download the Concussion Coach for Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch) from the App Store or Get It From Google Play for Android devices.*
*Links provided below will take you outside of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) website. VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of the linked websites